Instruction to Diocesan Ordinaries on female modes indecent by the Sacred Congregation of the Council, January 12, 1930
Under the supreme apostolate which God has entrusted the performance of the whole Church, His Holiness Pope Pius XI has never ceased to teach by word and writings the precept of St. Paul: “That women wear decent clothes, adorning themselves with modesty and simplicity (…) and as befits women who profess to worship God through good works. “
Often when the occasion arose, the Pope disapproved and condemned severely indecent modes introduced everywhere today in the clothing habits of women and girls even Catholic; not only these modes gravely offend the dignity and feminine grace, but unfortunately cause temporal damage for the woman and, what is worse, his eternal loss and others.
It is therefore not surprising that the bishops and other places have Ordinary, as appropriate to the ministers of Christ, resisted in every way and with one voice, each in their diocese to overflow license and impudence ; often they braved with courage and fortitude the taunts and insults that addressed their response malicious men.
That is why this Sacred Congregation, in charge of promoting the discipline in the clergy and people, approves and praises rightly vigilance and action of the bishops; urges them together vigorously to pursue their plans and their timely as companies squeeze in execution until this plague is completely eradicated honest circles of society.
For more easily and surely this result, this Sacred Congregation, by order of the Supreme Pontiff, has taken on the matter the following decisions:
I. That the above priests and preachers, when the opportunity is offered to them, insist, resume, threaten, exhort the faithful, in the words of the Apostle Paul, that women dress in a way that exudes modesty that is the adornment and safeguarding of virtue; they urge parents not to allow their daughters to wear immodest toilet.
II. Parents, remembering the serious their obligation to take care of education above all religious and moral of their children, ensure with particular vigilance that their daughters, from their earliest years, are solidly educated Christian doctrine. That, by their words and by their example, they put all their zeal to excite in the souls of their children, the love of modesty and chastity. They strive to raise and direct their children by following the examples of the Holy Family, so that everyone at home, find a pattern and a stimulus for the love and practice of modesty .
III. What parents forbid their daughters to public participation exercises and gymnastics competitions; if their daughters are forced to take part, they ensure that they put the clothes that meet the decency and never tolerate immodest costumes.
IV. That boarding school directors and school mistresses strive to inspire their students a love of modesty. They thus lead them effectively to dress modestly.
V. That these guidelines and these mistresses would not admit in their establishments or their classes of students – and even mothers of them – who would dress modestly little; if they were admitted and they will amend the point, they return them.
VI. That religious, faithful to the requirements given 23 August 1928 by the Sacred Congregation for Religious, refuse to admit to their schools, their classrooms, their chapels, their recreation rooms – or return if they have been admitted, – girls who do not keep the Christian restraint in the way of dressing; that religious themselves in the education of children, take special care of deeply rooted in their souls the holy modesty and Christian modesty.
VII. Establish and spread of women’s associations that attach intended to curb, for their advice, examples and action, contrary to abuse Christian modesty in the way of. clothing and offer to promote purity of morals and modesty in dress.
VIII. In the pious women associations, which do not admit those who dress immodestly; if members are reprehensible in this, that the resume and, if they do amend the point, that the excluded.
IX. For a ban girls and women who dress immodestly a way access to the Holy Table, the role of godmother for baptism and confirmation, and if circumstances have it, the same entry from the church.
X. At the festivals of the year offer a particularly timely opportunity to instill Christian modesty – especially the feasts of the Blessed Virgin Mary – the priests, principals priests pious unions and Catholic associations do not fail to remember women, in a speech for the occasion, the duties of Christian modesty in the way of dressing and encourage them not to neglect them.
At the feast of the Immaculate Conception, which annually provides for special prayers in cathedrals and parish churches and at the same time, as much as possible, we urge the Christian people by solemn sermons.
XI. The diocesan vigilance Council referred in the declaration of the Holy Office of March 22, 1918 treats former professed, at least once a year, the most likely to promote women Christian modesty means.
XII. In order that this salutary action develops efficiently and safely, bishops and other Ordinaries place every three years, along with the report on religious instruction dealt with the Motu Proprio Orbem catholicum of 29 June 1923, will also at this Sacred Congregation a report on the condition and status of women’s fashions and the measures adopted under the rules of this instruction.
Given in Rome, at the Palace of the Sacred Congregation of the Council on 12 January, Feast of the Holy Family, the year 1930.
D. Card. Sbarretti Sabine bishop and Poggio Mirteto, Prefect.
JULES, Bishop of Lampsacus, Secretary.
BUILDING A diocesan ordinary use;
DISGRACE dressing MORE ON THE NUNS
By virtue of the highest apostolate , the entire Church of God performs SSmum Father Pius 11 orally and in writing, never ceased to that of St. Paul (1 Tim. 2, 9,10) emphasize, that “women should dress modestly and adorn themselves in, and … it is proper for women who profess reverence for good. “
And even at times, an opportunity to do the same thing, the Supreme Pontiff, was disapproved of acerrimeque he condemned the lack of it for the covering of the manner of the well in the Catholic, too, of women and of the girls use today in some places have been approved by, who was not only a woman ‘s pride and ornament of a grave sin, but because to say nothing of in the temporal sense of the same of the women is the destruction, but also, what is worse, at all times, as well as the other deplorable ruin.
Nihil igitur mirum, si Episcopi ceterique locorum Ordinarii, sicut decet ministros Christi, in sua quisque diœcesi pravæ huiusmodi licentiæ ac procacitati modis omnibus unaque voce obstiterunt, derisiones nonnumquam ac ludibria ob hanc causam sibi a malevolis illata æquo fortique animo tolerantes.
Itaque hoc Sacrum Consilium cleri populique disciplinæ provehendæ cum eiusmodi Sacrorum Antistitum vigilantiam et actionem merita probatione ac laude prosequatur, tum eosdem vehementer hortatur ut consilia atque incepta opportune inita insistant et alacrius pro viribus urgeant, quoadusque hic pestíferas morbus ex honesta hominum consortione penitus extirpetur.
But in order to be more easily and more safely is put into effect, these things, the Sacred Congregation, at the command of the Most Holy of the Lord, has decreed the things that follow from here to the matter to establish:
I Pastors and preachers in particular, on occasion, as the Apostle Paul (2 Tim. 4: 2) insist newcomers, pray, scolding a woman wearing clothes that shame can appreciate the things that are beautiful and hold power; to allow the parents to wear the garments, lest the daughters of the moneantque their indecent.
2. from the family, the Holy Family, the examples of imitated him, and so to take measures to establish and to govern us, that they may have a cause of, every one of her modesty, the call is to be loved, and the walls of the observance within the family circle.
3. They daughters by parents of public and prevent conflicts of gymnasts; if, however, be obliged to take part in the same, the daughter of, see to it that the garments of the honesty of the things that should use a fully præseferant; to allow them to wear the garments, however, is never dishonorable.
4. Result of humility and the love of the minds of the girls’ schools, and the teacher of the appropriate collegiate Moderatrices faithful are to strive so to be imbued with, as the same as the ones to put on, honestly, effectively this stage.
, And the teacher of V. The same ultimate Moderatrices the girls, do not, indeed, their mothers, with the exception of of those, that are not so honest, the wearing of the garments, are not to admit in the colleges and schools, admissasque, unless they repent, throw away the.
6. Religious, according to the letter, on the twenty third of the month of August, in the year 1928, given by the Sacred Congregation for Religious, in their colleges, schools, oratories, a delegate that girls are not to admit, admitted that the pressure, which is a Christian, for the covering of the custom is not to observe the period: the women will, however, develop in the students by bringing up their own special and make good use the study, in order that the love of the high, in one of them the roots of the Christian intention of the holy act of modesty and her modesty.
7. Those associations of women are to be encouraged, may be established, and the offices of loving, which is the counsel of the, by the example of the Christian life, and the result of humility and the work is not an end to themselves who carry in their clothing and were suited for the presentation of restraining them and to promote the abuse of the purity of morals, and the responsibility for the covering of all grace.
8. The pollution of Associations of the ladies are not to be admitted to bestow the clothes put on; But having admitted, if anything more about him in the wrong, and warning that must not come to their senses in a matter of this, they are driven out.
9. Maidens and wives by whom they are dishonorable and the garments take on a new, revised by the Holy Communion and in the sacraments of Baptism and Confirmation, are hindered from exercising his godmother, and, if need be, to accept of him, should be prevented from entering the church.
X. When there is the year of the feasts of the, by the fall, special offers them an opportunity to inculcate in the things of humility and the position of the Christian, and especially of the feasts of the Blessed Virgin, and the Catholic Churches of the Union of the pastor and the other priests, members of pious women to spread the Christian congregations to use for the covering of the moderators of the ordinary, for a suitable time to wake up, and to recall the word, is not to omit. On the feast of the Blessed Virgin Mary conceived without sin hold special prayers in all the cathedrals and parish churches are performed each year, have, wherever possible, the fitting of the anniversary of the assembly.
11. The design diocesan supervision, which in the declaration of the Holy Office on March 22 a. 1918 data at least once a year about the most suitable ways and means to effectively provide for the ladies moderation is avowedly itself.
12. How is this saving action effectively and safer succeeds, bishops, local ordinaries three years, together with a report on the religious institution of which are illustrated in the Catholic world on the 29 day of June, 1920 in the motion given as to the nature of the and about the state of the works, and according to the norm of this Instruction with regard to the manner of the women, have given responsibility for the covering, this Holy See of the Congregation is to inform to all temptations.
Given at the congressional office of the Congregation, the twelfth day of January, the Feast of the Holy Family, in the year 1930.
Gift card. SBARETTI, OSB. Sabinen and Mandelen., Governor .
Julius L. * S. Ep. Lampsacenos., Secretary.
Acts of Pope Pius XI , Volume 6, House of the Good Press, Paris, 1934, p. 351-356.