It may seem a bit daunting at first, removing all forms of curses and oaths from our language, especially since we have all been raised in such a diluted and perverse society. But with Christ, all things are possible! Here are 10 ways to reclaim purity in our words, and make reparation for all the horrible sins of blasphemy:
1. Confession – confess your sins, mentioning your problem with cursing. Confide in your spiritual director (don’t have one? Get one.)
2. The Holy Mass – we must take advantage of the Holy Eucharist, every chance we get! Christ and I become one, DNA, blood, everything. What other way could we truly become more like Christ than receiving Him under the appearance of Bread & Wine?
3. To start, use silly words – Using words like BAGEL, PEPPERMINT, and so on that have no religious or strange connotations may be used to begin weaning off the cursing. But the main goal is to rid ourselves of using any sort of slurs!
4. Praying in the moment / Make the Sign of the Cross – In the heat of the moment, utter and silent prayer to Jesus, Mother Mary and Saint Joseph. Ask them to help you overcome this vice.
5. Say the Rosary – There is so much that can be said about the Holy Rosary that not even a hundred books could cover it! I suggest you read St. Louis de Montforts books, “The Secret of the Rosary” and begin saying at least a decade a day to start!
6. The Golden Arrow – Say these prayers in reparation, asking Jesus as well to help you with your trouble.
MAY THE MOST HOLY, MOST SACRED, MOST ADORABLE, MOST INCOMPREHENSIBLE AND UNUTTERABLE NAME OF GOD BE ALWAYS PRAISED, BLESSED, LOVED, ADORED AND GLORIFIED, IN HEAVEN, ON EARTH AND UNDER THE EARTH, BY ALL THE CREATURES OF GOD, AND BY THE SACRED HEART OF OUR LORD JESUS CHRIST, IN THE MOST HOLY SACRAMENT OF THE ALTAR. AMEN.
After receiving this prayer, Sister Mary of St. Peter was given a vision in which she saw the Sacred Heart of Jesus delightfully wounded by this “Go/den Arrow” as torrents of graces streamed from It for the conversion of sinners.
REPARATION PRAYER Eternal Father, turn away Thy angry gaze from our guilty people whose face has become unsightly in Thine eyes. Look instead upon the Face of Thy Beloved Son, for this is the Face of Him in Whom Thou art well pleased. We now offer Thee this Holy Face, covered with shame and disfigured by bloody bruises in reparation for the crimes of our age in order to appease Thine anger, justly provoked against us. Because Thy Divine Son, our Redeemer, has taken upon His Head all the sins of His members, that they might be spared, we now beg of Thee, Eternal Father, to grant us mercy. AMEN.
AN ASPIRATION TO THE ETERNAL FATHER TO BE FREQUENTLY RECITED DURING THE DAY ETERNAL FATHER, we offer You the Holy Face of Jesus, covered with blood, sweat, dust and spittle, in reparation for the crimes of communists, blasphemers, and for the profaners of the Holy Name and of the Holy Day. AMEN.
PRAYER TO REPRODUCE THE IMAGE OF GOD IN OUR SOULS Our Lord told Sister Mary ot St. Peter that the Image ot His Holy Face is like a Divine Stamp which, it applied to souls, through prayer, has the power of imprinting anew within them the Image ot God.
I SALUTE THEE, I ADORE THEE, AND I LOVE THEE, OH ADORABLE FACE OF MY BELOVED JESUS, AS THE NOBLE STAMP OF DIVINITY! COMPLETELY SURRENDERING MY SOUL TO THEE, I MOST HUMBLY BEG THEE TO STAMP THIS SEAL UPON US ALL, SO THAT “THE IMAGE OF GOD MAY ONCE MORE BE REPRODUCED BY ITS IMPRINT IN OUR SOULS. AMEN.
7. Ask a friend to help out – Join a good friend in your fight to clean up the language and purify your words!
8. Learn to speak better – Studying the English language to learn to speak more eloquently will give something else to work on while letting go of cursing and saying oaths. When giving up a vice, it must be replaced with good. Aside from prayers, learn to enunciate each word, familiarize yourself with good grammar and so on!
9. Invoke a special patron Saint – Take a Saint, or Blessed or Venerable, read about their lives, study their prayer life. Do this for different ones until you find one that especially touches you. Ask this person to become your patron, and familiarize yourself with them. Buy a holy card of them, and so on. They can do very much for you!
10. Invoke the Souls in Purgatory! – The poor souls in purgatory very rarely have anyone to pray for them, as they cannot pray for themselves but they CAN pray for others! As many of them are in there for using such language, confessing the sin, but not having done the required penance and therefore suffering for it.. they can be a huge spiritual help! And, in the process, you are quickening their suffering and helping them get to heaven quicker. Offer a mass, a rosary, a prayer, sprinkle holy water and so on for them!